Friday, March 19, 2010

Our week

This has not been such a hot week for good behavior in our house. Monday and Tuesday were AWESOME days for Jasmine. Wednesday, not so much. I got a phone call from the principal telling me that Jasmine was not going to be suspended this time, but she was going to have to be in ISS (in-school-suspension) the following day. Why, do you ask? While at recess she was looking at one of the teacher's turtles and kicked one of them! When Ms Hannah the assistant teacher asked her why she did it she just laughed hysterically. I'm not going to lie when I say this has really bothered Matt and I. Granted, it is just a tad funny when you say she kicked a turtle. (just say it to yourself in your head :)) But it is absolutely not okay. So, when she got home from school we asked her why she did it and she couldn't give us a reason. Then I asked her how she would feel if the turtle had died because she kicked it and she told me nothing. I told her that I really didn't think I could trust her around Macy and Brutus now because she kicked a very innocent and defenseless animal. None of this really even bothered her. She didn't and still doesn't feel sorry for kicking the turtle.

So, Thursday comes and goes and I get home from work and ask her how her day was. She was so excited because she had a great day. I had to explain that since she was in ISS it didn't count towards her weekly goal of being good.

Well, today I got another call from school. Ms Hannah called me on her way home from school on her personal cell phone. That should tell you how much this situation bothered her. She said that to make a long story short, she was in the back of the class and she stuck her middle finger up in the air. This is the second time this has happened. Ms Hannah told her to come to the front of the class to apologize to the class for doing that. She came up and said sorry, and Ms Hannah told her she needed to say I apologize. And Jasmine yelled I already said I'm sorry!! So, she was told to go stand in the corner and as she was walking to the corner she kicked a filing cabinet and I think she said hit a wall. Ms Hannah said it was the end of the day so she didn't send her to the Principal's office, but she took her into the bathroom and told her she wouldn't be disrespectful to anyone in the classroom.

This week just stunk. Matt and I are really trying to be consistent with her punishments, but boy is it getting difficult. I really wanted to come home on Wednesday and beat her, but of course I didn't, but it doesn't mean I didn't want to. :) I think one of the most difficult things about the whole situation is the fact that she is truly one of the most lovable, sweetest children you'll ever meet. She's such a snuggler and just loves to be hugged and kissed on. I'm hoping I get a return call from the counselor next week so we can get her in, because obviously, there are some deep rooted issues here that Matt and I are not capable of handling. I know that things are going to get better and I know that in some ways, Jasmine just can't help herself. We just want to help her so that she can be able to enjoy her time with us and her time at school.

On a different note, Victoria is doing well. She is very enjoyable too and she's just so eager to learn anything new. She keeps me on my toes every morning, because every morning I have to come up with some new tactic to get her out of bed. The past few days I've told her to get up quick so we can beat Jasmine to the bathroom and that's got her jumping out of bed. I sure hope it keeps working! She can be an absolute bear in the morning! Mind you, on the weekends she wakes up at 6:30 which is when I wake her up during the week, but she does this on her own and is as happy as can be. :)

2 comments:

Rachel K said...

WOW, so that doesn't sound very fun and it totally sucks for you but I guess all I can say is you are gonna be rock star parents when it's your turn. =) I don't have any politically correct advice because my Dad woulda spanked me with a belt if I had done that and I would definitely strongly consider that if it was one of my kids. I could understand such treatment is automatically ruled out when it's someone else's kids you are taking care of...hmmm, interested to know how this one pans out...=)

Nic said...

:( i wish i could be there, i am sorry that she is having such disapline issues. i cante wait to get home.