Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Utah

My Grandpa Hellstrom passed away on June 22nd.  My dad, who lives in Virginia, called to let me know about it that Thursday morning.  I was just really bummed about it, and knew there was no way that I could go out for the funeral.  Matt was out of the office all day long, and so I wasn't able to share my sadness with him except through text messages, and I was having a much harder time with it than I thought I would.  In the early afternoon I got a special delivery from my dear sweet husband. 
He knows how much I just absolutely LOVE gerber daisies, so he sent me this arrangement because he felt so bad that he couldn't be at work with me while I was having suck a yucky day.  Also during this time I realized Dad and Jill would be driving through Louisville on their way to Utah, so we made plans for the to eat dinner with us that night.  So, when Matt got back to work he wanted to know if I wanted to go to Utah with Dad and Jill.  Honestly, the thought hadn't really crossed my mind, but it was definitely something I would love to do.  Well, the more and more I thought of it, the more and more I realized I really did need to go.  Since Grandpa Hellstrom passed away, I now only have one surviving grandparent and that's Grandpa Cummins.  I have always had a special bond with him, and the last time I saw him was at our wedding four years ago!  I just felt like I needed to go to not only support my dad, but to visit my Grandpa.  Also, my mom lives there, and Isabella & Jared, my niece and nephew are there and their parents, obviously.  I just kept feeling a strong feeling that I needed to go.  So, I called up Dad & Jill, and asked if there was room in the car for one more, and lucky for me, there was!  So Matt & I got home from work around 5:30, and it was a mad dash to get packed for a good solid week away, since we were meeting Dad & Jill for dinner around 7.  I am so grateful for such a compassionate and understanding husband who was the one to suggest me going, and truly knew I needed it. 

While there, I got to go and stay with my mom in Ogden the whole time we were there.  It was so wonderful to be able to spend that time with her and David, her husband.  I got to see the kids quite a bit, and I also got to meet one of my step-sisters and her husband and two of their three kids.  They brought my mom's old dog Petzl over, who Jessica and Kurt now own.  He reminds me so much of Macy.  The biggest difference is his face is blacker than Macy's.  I had such a blast with them while they were over.  I got to spend a couple of days with my Grandpy and that was just very special for me. 



My dad comes from a family of 10 kids.  My Grandma passed away last year towards the beginning of the year.  My Grandpa has had alzheimer's for the last couple of years and had been in a nursing home.  They were sealed for time and eternity in the LDS Logan temple.  After attending the funeral, it reaffirmed my testimony in the Plan of Salvation.  In knowing that our Heavenly Father has a plan for us.  That I know where we came from, and where we're going when we leave this life.  I'm so grateful to know that he was reunited with the love of his life.  They were married for over 60 years, and left such a legacy behind them. 

While at the viewing and funeral, I got to see aunts and uncles and cousins who I haven't seen in over 13 years!  It was so much fun getting to visit and remember all of the fun different things of growing up and going Huckleberry Picking every year.  I may not have spent all of my time growing up in Utah, but I'm glad I got to spend the years there with family that I did.  It was neat seeing my cousins with their families, and to see how much everyone has grown and changed. 



Isabella and Jared were just so much fun to be around.  I haven't seen Jared since he was a year and a half old.  He was just a baby, and he's getting to be such a big boy now.  He is talking much better now, and when you can actually be around him, and see him when he talks, it's amazing how much better I was able to understand him!  These pictures of him were taken at the viewing.  He decided that he was going to do some silly faces for me.  I hate not living closer and being able to be a fun auntie to them all of the time. 

I'm just so grateful that I had the opportunity to go and spend a week with my family.  I really wish that Matt could have gone, but we'll just have to make that trip another day.  

2 comments:

Alisa J said...

I'm sorry your grandpa passed away! Its so theraputic visiting with family during timees like these! Glad you were able to! Love ya!

Lauren in GA said...

Lindsey,
I am sorry that your Grandpa passed away. I know this is late condolances...but I wanted to start out this comment by telling you that.

...I don't know if this comment will be sent to your e-mail or if you will get it when you see your blog...but I heard through the grapevine that you are expecting!!!! CONGRATULATIONS, GIRLIE!!! I am so happy for you!!!

I was looking over your blog and I realized that when I made a comment a long time ago it was before I had fully read your blog (I was so excited to read your comment on my blog that I hopped right over and commented back before reading)...I thought that the two little girls were yours and after I made a comment about them being yours I then went on to read your blog in detail and realized that you were watching the girls for their parents. I am an idiot though, and never went back and corrected my stupid initial comment. I was just reading away and meant to correct my error and I must have gotten sidetracked by kids or something. Anyway...sorry about that...I think it is so wonderful that you took care of those little ladies.

Anyway...sorry to leave a comment here...I don't have your e-mail address and I still haven't opened a Facebook account. I need to do that...Facebook kind of confuses me, though. I guess I'm old.


CONGRATS, AGAIN!!!!